We have received many phone calls regarding the condition of Main Street and Dewey Avenue. These are both County roads and maintained by the County. We have been in contact with the County regarding the condition of the roads.
The Wharton and Mine Hill Police Department is temporarily located at 23 Ross St. in Wharton. All reports can be made and picked up at that location. The phone number and mailing address remain the same.
Wharton Boy Scout Troop 67 Pancake Breakfast
Saturday, March 15 from 8-11:30 am at Wharton United Community Church, 20 Church Street. Cost: $10.00 for adults, $8.00 for seniors and $6 for children 10 and under; includes pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, coffee, tea, orange/apple juice. Tickets on sale Monday nights between 7 & 8:30 pm @ Wharton United Community Church, or contact Donna @ 973-796-7140.
Safety Tips for Staying Indoors During a Winter Storm
- Listen to your NOAA Weather Radio or check The Weather Channel and weather.com frequently for weather updates and emergency information.
- Use extreme caution with electric space heaters. Keep them at least a few feet away from anything flammable, such as drapes, bed sheets or blankets. Never place them on top of furniture or near water, and never let children play unattended around them.
- Keep a fire extinguisher close by the area in which you plan to use a space heater or kerosene heater.
- Use your fireplace, wood stove or other similar heater only if it is properly ventilated and does not leak gas into your home's indoor air space.
Reporting a Power Outage
If your power is out, please call 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) to report an outage.
With high winds and heavy accumulations of ice and snow, winter storms can cause power outages. To be prepared, experts suggest you should be ready to meet your family's basic needs for up to three days. Make sure you are ready with:
Safety Tips for Outdoors
When a winter storm or extreme cold threatens, you should avoid going outdoors unless absolutely necessary. In the event that you must, however, always dress warmly and return indoors as soon as possible.
- Wear multiple layers of clothing to stay warm, as well as a hat, scarf, mittens, a water-resistant jacket and boots.
- Make sure you stay as dry as possible, as water against the skin from wet clothing can chill the body quickly.
Morris County Organization for Hispanic Affairs Energy Assistance Program
Morris County Organization for Hispanic Affairs would like to encourage any Morris County resident that is struggling to pay his or her home energy bills to call them.
Community Notification System
Don't be left in the dark! Wharton's Community Notification System puts you in control of how and when we communicate with you during both emergency and non-emergency events. This new system went live in May of 2013.
Pothole & Highway Maintenance Reporting
The State of New Jersey Department of Transportation has created an online reporting system for problems with our state highways or off ramps.